WATCH: 7-Eleven Looted, Set on Fire in Downtown St. Louis

Sam Masterson
June 01, 2020 - 10:11 pm

A 7-Eleven in downtown St. Louis was looted and set on fire after protests turned violent Monday night.

It was around 9:40 p.m. when windows were busted out of the store at 17th and Pine Street. 

The fire was perhaps caused by fireworks, according to reports from local media. The flames have been put out just after 10 p.m.

KMOV shared video of the fire: 

It came after hundreds marched peacefully in downtown Monday afternoon. They started near City Hall and the downtown jail on Tucker Boulevard, then moved down to the Gateway Arch. 

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson said Monday that the Missouri National Guard and the Missouri State Highway Patrol are ready if violence persists.

“We support peaceful protesters and we are committed to protecting the lawful exercise of these rights,” Parson, a former sheriff, said. “But violence and destruction will never be the answer. It does not help us achieve justice or peace. Instead it terrorizes innocent people and families, destroys our communities and creates more anger and pain.”

Monday's protests came after two night in a row of tensions between activits and the Ferguson Police Department.

St. Louis County police reported that at least officers suffered minor injuries on Saturday and Sunday nights. One was hit by fireworks, the other by a rock. Six people were arrested, says police spokesman Benjamin Granda.

One man was arrested Saturday in St. Louis and accused of distributing information on making explosives and destructive devices, reports the Associated Press. 

Sunday’s protest in Kansas City wasn’t as violent as Saturday’s, when 85 people were arrested and several businesses were damaged. The Sunday gathering of more than 1,000 people near the Country Club Plaza was peaceful enough that police waived an 8 p.m. curfew.

But later Sunday night, police used tear gas to break up the protest that included damage to businesses and fire that destroyed a KSHB-TV news vehicle. Police fired tear gas into the crowd after objects were thrown at them.

Sixty-three people were arrested Sunday, but only after protesters began pelting officers and were warned to leave, Smith said.

“At that point, when we started getting bottles hurled and rocks hurled, that’s when we used our chemical munitions to try and change the dynamics of the crowd and to get officers to not get assaulted while they’re standing there on the line,” Smith said Monday.

Including five protest-related arrests on Friday, 151 people were arrested in Kansas City over the weekend. Nearly two dozen officers were hurt by thrown objects, including two who were hospitalized.

The protests came amid otherwise violent weekends in both metropolitan areas. In Kansas City, two people died in separate shootings Sunday night, including one just blocks away from the protest site. In St. Louis, two people were killed and 17 people were injured in weekend shootings.

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Comments ()